SHA Magazine Healthy nutrition
The Healthy Summer Guide
Many of us spend the months leading up to summer getting ourselves bikini ready and then when summer holidays arrive, we struggle to keep healthy and fit. Eating and going out, spending time with family and friends, going to the beach, are some of the things that take over our daily routine. There’s definitely nothing wrong with disconnecting and letting loose on the holidays. However, we don’t want to completely throw our healthy habits out the window. Firstly, because it’ll be much harder to get back into it after the holidays, and, because in the end of the day, we do feel so much better when we’re taking care of ourselves. So, we suggest you take your well deserved holidays, but, follow some easy guidelines to keep healthy and fit, whilst also having fun!
Get your body moving!
You don’t have to go to the gym to do exercise. Here are a few ideas of what you can do to stay active:
- If you have access to a pool or the sea, why not go for a daily 30 minute swim? You can even combine some aqua aerobics to make the most of your time in the water.
- Take long walks by the beach. Walking on sand is great for the circulatory and lymphatic system and tones your muscles.
- Hike! A great way to see the area you’re vacationing in is to go on hikes. You get your body moving, you’re in contact with nature and you get to see beautiful places. Bring a family member or friend along on the adventure.
- Have you tried paddle surf or kayak? If you’re close to water, whether it’s near the sea or a lake, doing water sports is a must. They’re fun to do in groups, and you they’re a great physical activity.
- Bring a jump rope! For those days where it doesn’t look like you’re going to be doing any outdoors activities, get a quick 30 minute workout in at the start of the day to get it out of the way. Why not start off doing cardio with a jump rope and continue with plyometric exercises to work and tone the entire body. They’re easy to do anywhere!
Start your day right
Breakfast is the perfect time to be as healthy as possible because the rest of the meals of the day are probably a more social event where you might have to adapt to what’s on the menu.
Start your day with warm lemon water to alkalinize and detox your body, and then make a smoothie full of vitamins and antioxidants. If you’re still feeling hungry after a smoothie, try making an avocado toast with a squeeze of lemon, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and some seeds on top. Great for your skin and hair and will give you energy!
Drink enough water
Make sure you hydrate enough throughout the day. Why not add fruits and herbs to your water? Not only will it be tastier and more refreshing, but, also full of vitamins and antioxidants.
Make healthier choices
There are always healthy options in restaurants to choose from. Whether it’s fresh grilled fish with vegetables or a salad, try eating local, fresh foods.
Vacations are a time to enjoy yourself. This doesn’t mean that including physical activity every day should be daunting. Quite the opposite! It’s about making it fun and different to your usual gym routine. Take advantage of outdoor areas, nature and friends and family that can take part in the activities too. You’ll notice that by taking care of yourself on holiday, you’ll feel more vibrant, energetic and will enjoy your holidays even more!